[LAU] OT: Durable headphones

Marius Janßen mariusjanssen at gmx.de
Tue Dec 18 13:28:52 UTC 2012

Am 17.12.2012 17:04, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Right now I did some research, since I bought my
> AKG K 240 DF around 30 years ago.
>
> It's discontinued.
> http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,253,pid,253,nodeid,2,_language,EN,country,ENUS,view,prop.html
>
> I know that studios today have better headphones, but they are very
> expensive and all I ever used in studios only one time need to clunk on
> the floor and they are borked. The AKG has a (relatively ;) less good
> sound quality, but anyway it's very good as a reference and the one I
> own survived, other headphones I owned or used in studios get broken.
>
> Are there still some durable headphones for studio usage? AFAIK for the
> German Rundfunk they switched a long time ago from the AKG I own, to
> those better once, that will not last very long.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I might want to chime in here, but my recommendation does not match the
half-closed criteria nor being from an class a studio brand.

I recently discovered Pro Set 3 Headphones from Heil Sound. In fact Bob
Heil produces stuff since the 60s (Heil Talking Box etc.).
Being a ham radio engineer (in german Amateurfunker) and developer of
intelligible microphones and easy to wear ham radio headphones he now
developed headphones for live reinforcement and the studio.

These are closed headphones with an impedance of 32 Ohms, they are
sturdy, they sit tight but are comfortable to wear as this was his
intention.
They are neutral with a lot of low end meaning they can produce very
deep frequencies.
For a price of about $110 or 110 Euro (plus shipment) your wallet will
live and your ears might be happy.
http://www.heilsound.com/pro/microphone-accessories/pro-set-3

Dealers throughout the world:
http://www.heilsound.com/pro/dealers/online-dealers
I got them in Germany through a ham radio company called Wimo.
Ham radio shops sell these, too:
http://heilsound.com/amateur/dealers/index.php

I am very fond of them, your experience may be a different one.
Just my 2 cents.

God bless, Marius