[LAU] Ravenna

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 20 19:42:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 21:09 +0200, Moshe Werner wrote:
> Because today the main problem with hardware support for linux (as far
> as understood) is with vendors not releasing info about the
> driver/engineering of the devices.

Resp. for Linux there isn't the manpower/money.

Some vendors don't support Linux, but are willing to help the community.

I had a correspondence with a vendor for audio cards, but I don't have
the needed abilities and people with the needed abilities, might not
have the time or hardware to do the work.

There are good howtos for writing drivers, but it's a lot you need to
know, resp. were needed it's a lot to learn.

Perhaps you've got the abilities or the willing and time to learn, if so
correspond with several vendors.

Sometimes open source is missing testers. I've got some hardware and
somebody has written a driver, but couldn't test all interfaces provided
by the hardware, because he doesn't has the gear to do it, so I'll test
it, because I've got the gear.

It does take longer for open source OS, than getting drivers for Apple
and Microsoft OS, but it's not a hopeless situation. At least we all
have a mobos, CPUs etc., that do work with Linux.