[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Dec 22 21:00:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, December 22, 2012 12:26 pm, John Murphy wrote:

>> Regarding to the needs of the OP. He starts a professional carrier, I
>> finished my some time ago ;). So I'll add another thing to reconsider.
>> He needs just on Microphone input, but it never can harm to have
>> additional inputs, in case one should get broken during a production.
>
> True. :) but I now have about 24 mic. inputs and I expect I'll have many
> more before my home studio is finished. I guess I must pay for versatility
> I don't need. Better tailored products would perhaps be more expensive, as
> they would cater to a smaller market.

I am not sure about that particular box, but  lot of them have mic/line
inputs, though only one or two mic/instrument inputs. Certainly it is nice
to match the pre to the mic and so line ins are nicer for that. The mic
pre on these boxes tends to be "sterile" as that is the most generic. It
means someone who is starting out can use the box with no pre to record a
drum kit. Then as they have the money, can get get a pre for their vocal
mic with some warmth, impedance matching etc. that will go line in. Not a
bad deal. In my case I just have line in and so use the pre from my mackie
mixer. I also have a tube pre made by ART that has more control.

I'm not a big fan of instrument inputs (low level like guitars) as I feel
the cabinet and amplifier are a part of the instrument and how it sounds.
But for the starting studio, it is good to have and always adds options
for anyone.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net