[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 22 21:34:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-22 at 21:19 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 10:06:02PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > The same here, but I only own one. I'm pissed off about the XLR sockets
> > and my ADA80000 gets boiling hot. It's not mounted to a rack. It's on a
> > shelf and there put on a holder, so there's headroom above and below the
> > ADA.
>
> Keep it there with an ice bag on it, or given the current European
> meteo, just put it outside. I once saw 4 ADA8000s built into a 4U
> portable rack producing fumes and a funny smell before dropping into
> mortal silence, the four of them almost at the same time. Wasn't really
> funny because renting the anechoic room where that happened was more
> expensive than all of them together.

I know one audio engineer who died of a smoke intoxication, by less
smoke from a car radio's cable. He thought that the little bit of smoke
was harmless and go to late to the hospital. Perhaps we all just had
good luck. Just because of a little bit smoke, I never went to a
hospital. I never ever would mount my ADA to a rack. Yes, outside it's
cold, but unfortunately it's also moist and (no joke) fine dust from the
street already is an issue inside my flat.

So it's not off-topic, the ADA can get very hot and we should be
careful, turn it off, when we leave the room to take a rest.