[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 15:00:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> Violins (and many other instruments) can and do produce harmonics
> above 20 kHz. As long as these are vibrations inside the instrument
> they could even interact in non-linear ways and produce something that
> is audible. Once they are 'in the air', they don't interact and you
> can't hear them.

Correct, but when it comes to recording the sound of that particular violin
you don't need to capture the ultrasonic frequencies, just what we can hear
for it to be a perfect reproduction for the listener.  I was simplifying
things a little in my explanation, as in the end only what we can hear
makes up any of the identifying information about the instrument, which you
obviously state later on.

       Seablade