[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Dec 25 11:01:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

just my two cents feed into this (well deserved) Behringer rant:

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:26:10 -0500 Thomas Vecchione
<seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:
> They haven't lowered the entry bar for making music, that bar was
> lowered before they even entered the market.  People like Mackie,
> Samson, etc. made low cost, just not quite as low, equipment, that
> lasted better and generally sounded better, even if it wasn't close
> to what you get in the low to mid range part of the market.  What
> they have done is taught people to settle.

When you look at Mackie and Samson products, you soon realize that
while these are low-range but relatively good sounding, Behringer
copied their designs (*) and made them even lower-range and crap
sounding.

(*) Behringer Eurorack Mixers are direct copies of the Mackies. If
Mackie had a spelling error on its front, the Behringer would have it
too. These half unit devices for the home studio just came out half a
year after the samsons half-unit devices...

While Behringer looks to be good value for its money (and is so for
example with its first digital mixer), its only so much value you get
for the money: After using an eurorack for two years once a week, the
faders get bad, the potis are bad, the channels where leaking into one
another, the noise is getting on your tits. And once you used a real EQ
of a spirit, the behringers interpretation of an "english"-EQ
translates to "crap"-EQ. We never even bothered to buy a case to move
it around. It got bad enough without moving it...

Yes, I use(d) Behringer at several churches. Yes, you get some value
for your money. Yes, many poor non-profit organizations settle for
their products, altough they would be better of with the
value-for-money for other equipment.
No, I don't want to use any of the Behringer products anymore. Finding
that one or two exceptions in their product-line is just not worth
dealing with all their crap. Better save your money some time and then
buy some real equipment.

If you like Behringer, good luck. You will need it.

Have a nice festive season,

Arnold