[LAU] Lack of smpte support simply sux

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Dec 26 20:32:26 UTC 2012

On 12/26/2012 08:38 PM, Peter P. wrote:
[..]
> Sorry to partly highjack that thread, but I was wondering if there
> are any tools in linux to read/write smpte time code from/to tape
> machines, and have it translated to Midi Time Code.
>
> Thanks for all pointers, best, P

The easiest way for MTC->LTC is indeed Ardour3 since SVN rev13418 (Nov
2012) [1]: slave Ardour to MTC, use A3's LTC generator. LTC->MTC is
not yet supported by A3, because A3's MTC generator still needs some
work for proper vari-speed support [2].

However, there's jltc2mtc from https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools

analog LTC audio (e.g. from tape)
- -> soundcard
- -> JACK audio-port
- -> jltc2mtc
- -> jack midi-port
- -> ...

https://github.com/x42/mtc-tools features a standalone MTC generator
(gets sync from jack-transport).

HTH, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions,
robin

PS. All tools properly compensate for latency. But in order to achieve
exact sample-sync, the port latencies of the physical jack-ports must
be set correctly (using jackd's -I -O options).

The actual roundtrip latency depends on many factors. The only way to
learn the value is to measure it. To do so, there's jack_delay [3] by
Fons Adriaensen; a variant of it (jack_iodelay) comes with jackd itself.

[1] http://gareus.org/wiki/a3extsync
[2] LTC->MTC is already supported by A3 but accuracy does not match
our expectations so it has been explicitly disabled. UTSL
[3] http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/