[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Dec 27 23:31:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, December 27, 2012 9:19 am, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 07:09:51AM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>
>> The joke was they were good for putting in light bulbs... someone
>> could stand on top with a light bulb to the socket and turn the motor on
>> to screw it in.
>
> Except that it would turn the wrong way...

Ya, thats why it was a joke. It seems to me we pointed that out to whoever
told us too. They were tough anyway. It's like the two inch video cart
machines... the magazine never turned 1/2 turn to the required slot, but
got there in time that they could switch from cart to cart every 5
seconds. The first ones could fit two carts in the space of one... but I
could stand on one without damaging it.

> When I was in broadcasting the turntables were EMT. They had a slip
> coupling between the main (heavy) platter and the actual (light) one
> supporting the disk. So with the motor turning you could stop / cue
> the disk by holding one finger to the rim of the upper platter. When
> released it would start 'instantly'...

I saw that done too, but It seems to me it was just the mat slipping. The
method used depended on the operator.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net