[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 28 05:30:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 19:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Cables were generally a mess though.

In Germany it's the job for beginners. When I was 16 it was part of my
job to roll up cables correctly and I walked besides the cameraman, to
carry the cable. IOW it's a cable puller's job and at least in the past,
it was the job that we had to do, before we could work as "Tonmeister".
Perhaps Germans tend to be more bourgeois, here you can draw inferences
from cables that are a mess about the quality of the company.

> Where the screens tend to get plugged with dried spittle.  I've run a
> bunch of them through the dishwasher.  Not the mic of course, just the
> screens.

Good idea :) at home I cleaned mics manually. I saw and smelt unusable
dirty microphones, but one of my jobs was to build new microphones and
not to maintain old mics.
I'm not sure if all elCheapo mic's screens are dishwasher-proof. The
screen might rust. I've got a Shure-fake from Realistic and the
gauze/foam crumbled, so even if it would be new, it might get damaged in
a dishwasher.

Regards,
Ralf