[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 28 11:48:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 12:12 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> One of C.Parker famous quote is "Master your instrument, master the
> music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play"
> but...according to this thread it seems that many are locked at the
> first step ;-)

Many musicians aren't audio engineers, so for musicians playing in the
pedestrian zone nowadays it's a wise message, but for musicians that
want to survive these days, it's just ignorant and scornfully against
the audio engineers. Thinking about the abilities of different recording
techniques isn't nonsense. Thinking about what customers want,
especially those who are willing and able to pay a lot of money, IOW
esoteric audiophiles isn't nonsense. If you make good music and you or
somebody else record it, that even esoteric audiophiles are satisfied,
that IMO is a good thing and always better than to work for the Grand
Prix Eurovision de la Chanson and other bad things.

If you don't make it your business, then I agree, it's nonsense to take
care about other people.

You have to walk a tightrope, regarding to ethics, if you want to live
from music. Sometimes you have to do less good things, but it's better
to stop this business instead of working for people you condemned or
learn to respect those customers.

Regards,
Ralf