[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Dec 28 23:06:35 UTC 2012

On 28 December 2012 17:31, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> If you are making a real sound recording, at the point where the signal is
> digitised the analog signal simply has to be 'superior'. [...]
> What happens later down the processing chain is, of course, another matter.

Well yes, the electrical signal from a mic or whatever is analogue,
but I think the problem with this argument is that "later down the
processing chain" is basically as soon as you try to do anything
meaningful with the signal, such as (say) record it to tape. You might
get back a high resolution signal, but it's not the same one you
started with.

If you're really bothered about accuracy rather than artistic effect
or whatever, surely you want to digitise as early as possible.

Chris