[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 02:03:32 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 05:51 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 05:31:31PM +0000, Folderol wrote:
>
>> If you are making a real sound recording, at the point where the signal is
>> digitised the analog signal simply has to be 'superior'.
> That can't be denied. But it's only part of the story.
>
> Keeping the signal in the analog domain is no guarantee that
> its quality will be preserved. Simple fact is that even switch
> and potentiometer contacts are not perfect - they *do* generate
> distortion as well. I can't count the number of times I've
> measured distortion in analog circuits that went away when
> switches or pots were either replaced or cleaned. And of course
> they can be replaced by solid state switches and VCAs, but these
> are not perfect either.

And every extra circuit you cram in the signal chain merely ads noise,
distortion, and other coloration.  Who can forget the debates about
whether the CONVENIENCE of CAM was really worth the unavoidable
degradation in quality due to the VCAs most consoles used.  If a
defective component (fader, pot) is adding noise or distortion, then it
should be replaced, and not used as "justification" that digital is better.

That's like saying that since my excellent condition Ford Escort gets
better gas mileage than a Ferrari which has a blown headgasket and has
never been tuned up, Fords are better cars.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]