[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 14:48:34 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 06:38:24PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>
> > I would guess a lot of that is omni vs. cardioid. How does that effect
> > monitoring (the main reason for directionality on stage)?
>
> A directional mic wil give you a few dB advantage, but only if it
> is and _stays_ oriented correctly - something you can't always
> count on. OTOH an omni can be used very close more easily.

A directional mic can give quite a bit more than just a few dB of added
headroom before feedback.  Take a look at the frequency response charts of
the 'standard', the SM58, which pretty much has 10dB down across the
board(Until you get into the very low frequency signals that usually don't
exist in a vocal mic anyways if you are using a high pass filter).  Even at
125, the lowest frequency they have plotted and still exceedingly low for a
vocal mic, you are 10dB down at 30 degrees off the back axis, and even at
90 degrees off still 5dB down.  That can be a huge difference on a pop/rock
stage for instance, particularly if the mic stays on a stand for backup
vocals etc.

Of course this doesn't get helped when you get a vocalist that doesn't have
a clue what they are doing and wants to look 'cool' and cups the damn
grille.

Another aspect is that some singers will work the mic specifically for the
change in EQ given by a bass boost from proximity effect as well.  It
depends on who they are whether this is worth it at all, but is something
to keep in mind obviously.  But see my above point about people wanting to
'look cool' and not knowing what the hell they are actually doing, it
applies here as well:)

> Another thing that affects feedback and is often overlooked is
> the frequency response (of all components in the chain).
> Narrow peaks of a few dB  (which will not even affect the sound
> quality) will negate any advantage there is in using a directional
> mic.

Now this is completely correct and one of the reasons that many mics may be
more suitable than others on stage, but primarily this really comes into
play with monitors honestly.

         Thomas