[LAU] Mixbus v2 for $40

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sun Dec 30 00:58:51 UTC 2012

On 29 December 2012 at 19:43, Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:
>
> >> http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/website/purchase.html
> >
> > I also grabbed a copy of ArdourXchange, given that I have one
> > Pro-Tools project done by a friend that might be nice to import.
>
> I have not been able to get ArdourXChange to work under
> Wine. Have you?

I didn't try it.  Instead of Wine, I use CrossOver from
CodeWeavers.  I know it's basically the same, but it seems to
have fewer bugs and it seems to install what I need well.  Also,
I've got GREAT service from CodeWeavers over the years, and want
to reward them with my business.  I like the idea of supporting
open source projects and companies that support open source
projects.  Hmm, maybe I'd better support Harrison?  Oh!  I just
did.   ;-)

> Had much better luck with AATranslator (which supports many
> more formats, both import and export)
>
> > Does anyone know how the LinuxDSP package from Harrison
> > compares to the usual cadre of audio effects that I use with
> > Ardour?  Will my audio plugins work with Mixbus?
>
> They are the same as the LV2 plugins from the LinuxDSP site
> (which are really good, BTW). You can use them with plain old
> Ardour2 & Ardour3, and likewise, anything that works under A2
> & A3 will work under MixBus (I really recommend the new Calf
> LV2 plugins, they are pretty sweet).

I'll have to have a listen soon.  Early last Summer I was amazed
at how nice GVerb was compared to my Lexicon.  Granted, I just
got my old Altec-Lansings reconed and could finally tell the
difference.  Wow!  A friend of my who does pro sound heard the
difference.  He had the same hardware Lexicon in his live sound
rack that I've been using for years, and he ended up dropping
about $600US on a new Lexicon once he could hear how it stacked
up against something better.  The new Lexicon is stellar, btw.
But, he still uses his silky smooth vintage plate reverbs in his
studio.

> There's a lot you don't need to use with MixBus, since a lot
> of stuff is built into the mix busses and work pretty well
> (limiting, compression, tape saturation, high pass filter, etc)

Interesting.  Is that stuff part of the Open Source contributions?

Thanks....

--
Kevin