[LAU] Dual Delta Setup

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Dec 31 14:47:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, December 30, 2012 7:12 pm, Devin Anderson wrote:

> JACK *could* deal with this issue, but:
>
> 1.) It would be better if the functionality was independent of JACK.
> 2.) I don't think the issue is JACK's responsibility.

Quite honestly, it does not seem to be something that _should_ be done by
ALSA either, because properly joining two devices would mean an extra
buffer (and latency). It seems that the reality is that each device needs
to be dealt with as a separate device. So if it is not Jack's problem then
a second jacklike server that exposes the ports as jack clients is needed
and expected. So using something like zita-a2j would be the "correct" way
of doing things. It certainly seems more stable. I enabled my (junk AC97)
internal sound card (16 bit in and 18 bit out) just for fun and ran jack
on it. Then used the zita-bridge tools to add an ensoniq (normally used as
a midi port)... at a lower latency than jack would run that card alone. I
ran it overnight and yes there are some xruns, but then the internal card
is sharing irqs so 75 xruns in 6 hours at -p 32 on this machine is very
good, even without the bridging.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net