[LAU] Soundcard broken? What else can I test

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Wed Feb 1 19:02:09 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!
   I had strange goings-on this morning. Yesterday night, I left some sound
playing, which looked like it had finished allright. But on another console I
saw, that a paused mplayer had some errors and wouldn't unpause again. I quit
it and restarted. No luck, I discovered, that ALSA wasn't working properly.
   So I rebooted a couple of times. The first time, no Delta soundcard at all.
I turned the computer off, felt, that the Delta was properly screwed in its
place. Yep. Rebooted, found the soundcard.
   But the alsamixer settings were a bit wrong. The S/PDIFF items at thwe
beginning were set to IEC958 in-l and r, although I'd ALWAYS left them sitting
on pcm out. So were the "hw in" elements all set to the same in-l and in-r
device. The internal clock was set to iec958 input and couldn't be changed,
the default rate was set to 96000, which is always 48000.
   I rebooted and could changed the internal clock to 48000, I heard a pop,
when I did it. Only after that, were aplay and mplayer -ao alsa,default
showing movement. Before then, they started and paused at 0, unable to move
forward.
   Still: No Sound! I can start my jack as well. All the volume levels are
check. ALL, that I can see in the playback view.
   In jack I tried using mplayer - with -ao jack) and a direct connection of
in/out ports of the card itself. No luck!
   So please, what else can I do, to eliminate possibilities, that would
frighten me.
   Warmly yours
             Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;