[LAU] Laptops for firewire based pro-audio on linux

Moshe Werner moshwe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 09:39:41 UTC 2012

> I'm on a Macbook Pro (late 2010). Firewire is Agere, not TI!
> > I really was angry when I discovered this

I was angry that I was told it was a TI chipset just to find out it was
Agere.

> The first FW643 revision was buggy, but the latest Lucent, er, Agere,
> I mean, LSI chips (FW643E, FW533E) are actually better then TI chips.
>
> > Tried to run Ubuntustudio on the mac and having issues with xruns all
> over the place.
>
> It's hard to be sure what causes them, but it's unlikely to be the
> controller.

Could be, didn't dig too deep on that matter as I simply use Ardour/Mixbus
on OSx.

> Is your FireWire interrupt shared with other devices?  Are you using the
> nvidia graphics driver?  Are you running something like NetworkManager
> that scans for new networks?

Interrupt- Didn't check.
Graphic driver- yes using nvidia
Network manager- yes

Just thought I would share my experience (also if it's not much).

Cheers
Moshe