[LAU] Multiple ICE1712 cards setup with jack2

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Feb 1 18:56:26 UTC 2012

Hi, I've been using 2 Delta 1010s together for a while, I hope I can
help a bit here.  I've tried to put most of what I've learned on the
web at http://delta.brainiac.com/deltasync.html

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 05:40:35 +0100 mn0 <mn0 at fukked-up.de> wrote:
> I use Jack2, where can I find the exact version?
> Only thing I know, it's jackdmp 1.9.7.

That should be fine, it's what I use as well.

> The cards are hardware synced via S-PDIF.
> In envy24control, a mixer program that knows about these features, hw:0
> is set to internal clock and hw:1 is set to S-PDIF.

So far, so good.  I'll assume you're using a real S-PDIF cable and not
just an audio RCA cable.

> a)use .asoundrc
> I have a .asoundrc from the web.
> After a few seconds, it crashes saying this:
>
> Unknown request 4294967295
> Destination port in attempted (dis)connection of system:monitor_6 and
> system:monitor_6 is not an input port
> Unknown request 4294967295
> Unknown request 0
> Unknown request 0
   [ snip ]

Using the .asoundrc file to combine the cards into one logical device is
what I consider to be the "correct" way of doing this, so I'll focus on
that.  Assumptions I'm making here:
- the Deltas are the only 2 sound devices in the system.  This can be
  verified by the command "cat /proc/asound/cards".  On my system, this
  is the output I see:

[jh at xtc ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [M1010          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
                      M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xdf80, irq 21
 1 [M1010_1        ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
                      M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xdf40, irq 20

If you have a motherboard that has an integrated sound chip, you might
find your zero device is not a Delta, which is a problem.  I had to disable
my onboard sound card in my motherboard's BIOS settings.

- You have hw:0 and hw:1 identified correctly.  Unfortunately, sometimes
  Linux has an issue with being able to consistently identify 2 identical
  soundcards.  I've had this happen in the past and it gets annoying.  I
  found it most liable to happen if I've made some other hardware change
  to the machine, otherwise it's usually stable across reboots.  It's
  easily tested by using hw:0 to start jack and verifying that it
  addresses the ports on the card you believe to be hw:0.

- You've got the right cards set as master clock and S/PDIF slave and that
  the correct ports on each are connected.  I've gotten this incorrect on
  at least 2 occasions, so it's worth re-checking!

- The 2 1010LT's are not sharing any IRQs with other devices.  "lsmod -v"
  command will show you the IRQs of all the PCI devices.  The Deltas should
  have IRQs all to themselves.  Here's my output edited to show just the
  Deltas.  IRQs 20 and 21 are not shared with any other device.

02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies Inc. M-Audio Delta 1010
        I/O ports at df80 [size=32]
        I/O ports at dfa0 [size=16]
        I/O ports at df60 [size=16]
        I/O ports at df00 [size=64]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: ICE1712
        Kernel modules: snd-ice1712

02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies Inc. M-Audio Delta 1010
        I/O ports at df40 [size=32]
        I/O ports at ded0 [size=16]
        I/O ports at dec0 [size=16]
        I/O ports at de80 [size=64]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: ICE1712
        Kernel modules: snd-ice1712

If the hardware's setup is verified as OK, look at how you're starting
Jack.  You didn't post the command used to start jack, so I can't say if
it's starting the way you expect.  If you use QJackCtl to start jack,
the command that starts jack can be found by looking at the .jackdrc
file.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you a starting point for troubleshooting.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com