[LAU] Session management tools (was: Re: DC offset)

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Thu Feb 2 22:46:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 07:11:22AM -0700, Daniel Worth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:

> > > I don't know - don't use VLC.
> > >
> > > Could session management tools be set up to react to the appearance
> > > of Audacity's ports (I think they're always named the same) and
> > > reconnect them?
> >
> > There are related issues with Ecasound.
> >
> > Configuring the audio engine and connecting the engine with
> > external resources are separate steps.  JACK ports are
> > created in the second step. Once created, these ports
> > are maintained regardless of transport state.
> >
> > For Nama, which uses Ecasound, I'm also hoping that session
> > management will help. Nama retains state information, such
> > as project name, that Ecasound does not.
> >
> > Is there any movement to make JACK session tools available
> > to programs written in scripting languages? MMA, written
> > in Python for example, could also benefit...
> >
> > -joel

> This is easily solved with qjacktl's patchbay. It's clients like this that
> it was designed for.

> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76

That's a helpful resource, thanks.

Does qjackctl start applications as well?

I don't see how Nama could to know to load
a particular project, say "three_blind_mice".
Perhaps qjackctl could execute a shell command like:

screen -X -S audio screen -t Nama - three blind mice -p- -- nama three_blind_mice

or

rxvt -e nama three_blind_mice

I'm especially interested non-GUI tools, since Nama caters
to users who don't run X.  Unfortunately the git repository
for pyjacksm appears to be offline. :-(

Regards,

--
Joel Roth