[LAU] Multiple ICE1712 cards setup with jack2 -> get rid of xruns

mn0 mn0 at fukked-up.de
Fri Feb 3 00:43:31 UTC 2012

Am 02.02.2012 23:47, schrieb mn0:
> As we know now, the shared IRQs were not causing the xruns.
> Just to make sure, everyone's up to date:
> -using 2 Delta 1010s together.
> -Core2duo E4500
> -Ubuntustudio 10.04
> -kxstudio repos
> -jackdmp 1.9.9. from svn
> -The cards are hardware synced via S-PDIF.
> In envy24control, a mixer program that knows about these features, hw:0
> is set to internal clock and hw:1 is set to S-PDIF.
> -using a real S-PDIF cable and not
> just an audio RCA cable.
> -use .asoundrc.
> -cat /proc/asound/cards finds both.
> -onboard sound card disabled.
> -I know which device represents which hardware card. Thus S-PDIF
> direction is correct (re-checked 5 min ago).
> -use QJackCtl: /usr/bin/jackd -P89 -v -dalsa -r48000 -p256 -n4 -m -D
> -Cmulti_capture -Pmulti_playback
> -other frames/period, Priority etc. settings don't help.
> -tried on 2.6.33.xx-realtime and 2.6.31.yy-rt kernels.
> -in QjackCtl xruns=x(y);
> y is growing rapidly (~300/gui update).
> I found out, that y represents the xruns reported by jack api, while x
> is scraped from the logs. So y are real xruns.
> -jack is running with rt priority.
> -in limits.conf audio group has unlimited memory, is -20 nice and has 89
> rtprio.
>

> interesting side effect:
> on 2.6.32-27-generic, the xruns don't occur so often.
> with-p512 there's even no xruns.
>
> What's going on there?
> Kernel issue?
> -p512 is a little too much latency.
> Why is a generic kernel xrunning less than a realtime or rt?
> jack 1.9.9 compatibility issue?
>
> /mn0

Just in case you want to know, how I fixed it...
Thought, maybe kernels from the early stone age are bad...
installed 2.6.38 lowlatency.
Didn't help...
but when attempting to start jack, it complained a certain pid was using
the soundcard.
ps alx said it was - guess what - pulseaudio...
created ~/.pulse/client.conf with the following content:

autospawn = no

pulseaudio -k

start jack
smile.

Now running without xruns at
/usr/bin/jackd -P89 -v -dalsa -r48000 -p128 -n4 -m -D
 -Cmulti_capture -Pmulti_playback

and very few on -n3
So I'm sorry for making such a noise on the list and happy it's now
working as supposed to.

/mn0