[LAU] iPad and Linux audio

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Feb 4 15:00:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Nick Copeland <nickycopeland at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> there are some very cool synths starting to appear for the iPad too,
>> but this is precisely the market that *cannot* (for technical reasons)
>> be catered to on Android. its very sad. would i consider an Ardour
>> port to an Android that had a reasonable audio subsystem? i would
>> definitely look into it. but on android as is: why would anyone bother
>> to build synths, whether historical replicas or things like
>> supercollider, or DAWs or FX units etc. on this platform? there just
>> isn't any reason.
>
> I agree with Fons that it is largely for toys, I think that subject came up
> before but hey, we are all big kids really.

i actually don't consider having a work korg ms-20 on an ipad to be a
toy, at least no more than a toy than an actual ms-20. ditto for some
of the other synths that have started appearing on iOS. there is some
very useful work in the re-creation realm, and some really cool stuff
in the "wierd-ass synthesis model" realm. none of these can be played
live sensibly on android.

>> I did some research. Android on an iPad seems to be something that soon
>> or later will be available for everybody.

seems more likely and more useful if someone managed to port "actual
linux" to the iPad.