[LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Feb 12 19:26:06 UTC 2012

Hi all,

  What would be a good microphone for recording both acoustic steel
string guitar and acoustic bass guitar ?  In the $200-250 range.  I
currently have a M-Audio Pulsar and am looking for a recording that
has more of everything I hear from the instruments which does not
currently gets in the recording. The recording sounds like a digital
compressed version that doe snot have all the warmth and nuances heard
in the room.  Would upgrading to a $200-250 microphone help ?   Or
would any difference be made only with much more expensive
microphones ?  I basically would like to record as much what my ears are
getting when playing.

  The recording tool is Ardour, with all plug-ins found in a Fedora
15/CCRMA install.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!