[LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Feb 12 22:01:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 23:41:18 +0200,
Moshe Werner <moshwe at gmail.com> wrote :

Hello,

> > Small condenser mic-->Radial DI-->Maudio 1010LT

> Is that your setup or is there a mic preamp involved?

That's how it's connected.  There's nothing else.  XLR from the mic in
the DI box, 1/4" from the DI box to a 1010LT input.

> If not you will HAVE to use one to get the signal that comes out of
> the microphone to a proper working level.
> Also I'm wondering that  you get any signal at all through a passive
> DI box having no phantom power...

Not only there's signal, but it is actually quite loud with the mic at
about 8 inches, away from the guitar sound hole - more like pointing at
the bridge.

> My mic preference on a budget would be the "Bluebird" by Blue,
> which has a very pleasant harmonic distortion in the lowmids, and is
> pretty cheap too.

Never heard about these mics before.  I looked it up - seems pretty
good from the description.  Original shape.  But this one needs +48v
phantom power, which as far as I can see now, would require a new DI
box.  Saw it listed for $299.  Plus new DI box, that exceeds a bit the
budget.

You noted that w/o a phantom power the output would be too low.  Which
is not the case in my setup.  Is the role of phantom power in mics one
of amplifying sound vibrations only ?