[LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Feb 12 22:38:00 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:26:25 -0600,
Neil <djdualcore at gmail.com> wrote :

> I got the condenser at a pawn shop for about $75.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I' compiling all I got today starting
with Fred and will look at details fro each of these mics.

> > Not only there's signal, but it is actually quite loud with the mic
> > at about 8 inches, away from the guitar sound hole

> Clearly that mic is happy being plugged right in to your 1010.  Some
> of these others will not be.  You can buy a phantom power supply that
> does nothing but provide 48v to the mic if now isn't a good time to
> invest in a mixer or dedicated pre-amp.  Samson, AT and various other
> companies make them.

If I get a +48v only unit - thinking that the mic would still go
through the current passive DI box if that's possible at all - wouldn't
the controls in Ardour, along with the plug-ins, be ample to achieve
good results w/o the need for an external mixer (now being mentioned
twice in this thread) ?  Even if I eventually go with two mics, wouldn't
Ardour's mixing capabilities able to handle all inputs ?  A bit
puzzled here.