[LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 03:00:14 UTC 2012

On 02/12/2012 05:01 PM, jonetsu wrote:
> That's how it's connected. There's nothing else. XLR from the mic in
> the DI box, 1/4" from the DI box to a 1010LT input.
>
>> If not you will HAVE to use one to get the signal that comes out of
>> the microphone to a proper working level.
>> Also I'm wondering that  you get any signal at all through a passive
>> DI box having no phantom power...
> Not only there's signal, but it is actually quite loud with the mic at
> about 8 inches, away from the guitar sound hole - more like pointing at
> the bridge.
>
>> My mic preference on a budget would be the "Bluebird" by Blue,
>> which has a very pleasant harmonic distortion in the lowmids, and is
>> pretty cheap too.
> Never heard about these mics before.  I looked it up - seems pretty
> good from the description.  Original shape.  But this one needs +48v
> phantom power, which as far as I can see now, would require a new DI
> box.  Saw it listed for $299.  Plus new DI box, that exceeds a bit the
> budget.
>
> You noted that w/o a phantom power the output would be too low.  Which
> is not the case in my setup.  Is the role of phantom power in mics one
> of amplifying sound vibrations only ?

The 1010LT has mic preamps, doesn't it?  I was under the impression that
it had 8 switchable mic/line inputs.

If they are indeed mic level inputs, you don't need a DI box - you
simply need a phantom power supply.  There are several available.  Look
for offerings from Nady, Rolls, Behringer, AT, etc.  I'd try this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-micropower-ps400-phantom-power-supply/336830000000000

If they are only line level inputs, you still don't want a DI box - you
want a MIC PREAMP!!!

--
---

  http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]