[LAU] Using espeak with a vocoder program?

"Bearcat M. Şandor" hometheater at feline-soul.com
Tue Feb 14 00:42:58 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 12:38 PM, lau at kudla.org wrote:
> On 02/03/2012 11:40 PM, "Bearcat M. Şandor" wrote:
>> Is there a way i can use espeak that will make it sound like it's going
>> through a vocoder? I've looked for different voices to do this and i'm
>> not finding anything.
>> I'll be using this for audial system notifications.
>
> I've done that with pico2wave (from libttspico-utils) by just creating
> WAV files of the speech I wanted and then running those through a
> vocoder effect in Audacity. No reason you couldn't do the same in espeak
> and then assign the resulting sound files to the various notifications.
> I know, not as seamless as some kind of ALSA->JACK->effect chain, but
> it's an option.
>
> Rob

Thanks for all the suggestions on this folks. I appreciate it. What i
was hoping for was to set up notifications that will have notifications
that are dynamic. Thus a pre-recorded wave file won't do. I was hoping i
could make a MBROLA vocodered sounding voice, but it doesn't look like i
can.

Bearcat