[LAU] What audio interface to use for a Linux-powered surround preamp?

Johan Herland jherland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:26:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:29, Kaza Kore <dj_kaza at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Content Protection sucks!

Indeed. I'm only trying to access my legally owned content at the best
possible quality, but HDCP and industry collusion makes it almost
impossible. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

> Going via an analogue hole would be one way, but a pain in the arse. I
> wouldn't expect any prosumer, and even less professional, to allow you to
> bypass encryption though. Software solutions may show up...

Yeah, doing an analog hole would sort of defeat the entire purpose of
my exercise (which is to keep the audio digital for as long as
possible - ideally all the way to the speaker).

> Seems there is one HD switch/multiplexer available which does though.
> http://www.moomecard.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=16
> Output the separate audio and video you want (although audio is on 2x
> TOSLink.)

Hmm. I don't think it actually supports any more than 2ch LPCM (and
the compressed Dolby/DTS formats that fit into the 2ch bandwidth). The
2 TOSLink outputs are probably not connected to send separate parts of
a multi-channel signal (in any case, they'd only manage to send 2x2
channels, which isn't enough for 7.1 surround). Instead, they probably
supply the 2ch audio for each of the DVI outputs.

> But obviously there is the worry that a new version of HDCP will be release
> tomorrow so bypassing in this manner is never ideal!

Yeah, as long as we're dependent on proprietary formats and physical
media, I guess we'll have to deal with the industry's misguided
attempts to control the consumer.

Have fun! :)

...Johan

--