[LAU] RME Multiface II expansion options

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Fri Feb 24 22:08:12 UTC 2012

I have an RME Multiface-II with PCI-E card, and I'm thinking about
getting another 6 to 10 analog ins and outs.  Since there are so many
people here who are also using RME hardware, I wondered what your
thoughts would be on the best way to do this in a way that's friendly to
Linux, Jack, and the Alsatools Hammerfall mixer app.  If possible, I'd
like to still be able to run at 96kHz, so if it involves using the ADAT
port, it will probably involve having to use SMUX and only have 4 i/o's.

I've also heard it mentioned that one can add another Multiface and a
second PCI-E card, but I don't know whether that is supported on Linux.
I think there is a way to clock-sync the two if you do that, and I don't
know about seeing them both in the mixer.  It'd be really nice if I
could end up with 16 analog i/o's and nice AD/DA converters.

What do you think is the best way to get to that point for a Linux DAW
machine?  This is RME, so I'm sure it's got to be possible...

--
+ Brent A. Busby	 +
+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +	Vote for Cthulhu.