[LAU] First netjack test using jackd2: ecasound transport doesn't move

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sat Feb 25 03:07:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 04:32:33PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> These are my first netjack experiments, ever.
> I followed this reference:
>
> http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/NetJack

Although this article covers jackd2 and the commands do not
visibly fail, I thought it may be outdated compared
to this:

http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/NetJack2

btw, I'm using jackdmp version 1.9.8.

I tried the procedure (see below), expecting Ecasound
to route audio to the sound server's jackd.

The Ecasound transport still fails to move (engine
status remains 'stopped'.)

Regards,

Joel

#### sound server side (host "zinc", with local soundcard)

$ jackd -d alsa hw:0,0 -r 44100

$ jack_load netmanager

netmanager is running.
client name = netmanager

#### client side (host "sprite")

$ jackd -d net

jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with zinc...
**************** Network parameters ****************
Name : sprite
Protocol revision : 5
MTU : 1500
Master name : zinc
Slave name : sprite
ID : 1
Transport Sync : no
Send channels (audio - midi) : 12 - 0
Return channels (audio - midi) : 10 - 0
Sample rate : 44100 frames per second
Period size : 1024 frames per period
Network latency : 5 cycles
SampleEncoder : Float
Slave mode : async
Recv connection lost error = Resource temporarily unavailable
Driver is restarted
Restarting driver...
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...

Initializing connection with zinc...
**************** Network parameters ****************
Name : sprite
Protocol revision : 5
MTU : 1500
Master name : zinc
Slave name : sprite
ID : 2
Transport Sync : no
Send channels (audio - midi) : 12 - 0
Return channels (audio - midi) : 10 - 0
Sample rate : 44100 frames per second
Period size : 1024 frames per period
Network latency : 5 cycles
SampleEncoder : Float
Slave mode : async

Recv connection lost error = Resource temporarily unavailable
Driver is restarted
JackTimedDriver::Process XRun = 39 usec
Restarting driver...
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with zinc...
**************** Network parameters ****************
Name : sprite
Protocol revision : 5
MTU : 1500
Master name : zinc
Slave name : sprite
ID : 3
Transport Sync : no
Send channels (audio - midi) : 12 - 0
Return channels (audio - midi) : 10 - 0
Sample rate : 44100 frames per second
Period size : 1024 frames per period
Network latency : 5 cycles
SampleEncoder : Float
Slave mode : async
Recv connection lost error = Resource temporarily unavailable
Driver is restarted
JackTimedDriver::Process XRun = 37 usec
Restarting driver...
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with zinc...
**************** Network parameters ****************
Name : sprite
Protocol revision : 5
MTU : 1500
Master name : zinc
Slave name : sprite
ID : 4
Transport Sync : no
Send channels (audio - midi) : 12 - 0
Return channels (audio - midi) : 10 - 0
Sample rate : 44100 frames per second
Period size : 1024 frames per period
Network latency : 5 cycles
SampleEncoder : Float
Slave mode : async

$ ecasound -i cdda.wav -f f32_le,2,44100 -o jack,<CLIENT>,<TRANSPORT> -c

for TRANSPORT settings: send sendrec notransport

for JACK CLIENT setting: "system" and "system:playback_1"

The transport stays stuck at position 0.0, and the
'start' command does not start the engine,
which remains in status 'stopped'.

Grateful for ideas where I should go next,

Thanks,

> --
> Joel Roth

Joel Roth