[LAU] Linux 3.2.0-rt Kernels on Debian Repos!

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 25 05:19:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 22:00 +0100, hermann wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 24.02.2012, 21:30 +0100 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > "I do. They should just keep up the NV drivers that DO work until the
> > Nouveau drivers also work AND SUPPORT THE SAME HARDWARE, instead of
> > dropping NV completely."
> >
> > Full ACK!
> >
> > Isn't the Nouveau driver marked as "experimental"?
> > AFAIK it is.
>

> From the view of debian, sid isn't a distro, it is the development base
> for the next stable release, so, sid is experimental in it self.
> The use of debian/sid isn't supported by debian.

For testing the driver already is dropped and the Debian derivatives
Mint Lisa and Ubuntu Studio Oneiric support the Nouveau driver only. I
suspect that openDAW also doesn't ship with the nv driver.

I won't recommend installing something outdated like Debian stable.

I also don't like to recommend the usage of Arch Linux and similar
distros, since we can't expect that everybody using Linux, is willing to
spend hours to install a DAW.

It's a shame that the usage of the good Linux audio software can't be
used by every musician when installing a major distro, just because a
stable graphics driver is dropped, pulseaudio cause issues and a
kernel-rt often has to be compiled by the user. Even experienced Linux
audio users are disunited about the kernel-rt's config.

If Linux audio software like Ardour and Qtractor would be available for
Windows and assumed Windows would fulfill my needs regarding to hard
real-time, I would install it by now. I don't like this Linux policy
that is hostile to audio. We are living in the media age, instead of
switching to flashy crap like GNOME3 and Unity, integration of the Linux
pro-audio software should be done.

For what reason the nv driver is dropped right now?

- Ralf