[LAU] Using SB AWE64 MIDI interfaces

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Sat Feb 25 13:21:16 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, 25. Februar 2012, 14:02:35 schrieb Philippe MARTIN:
> Leigh,
>
> Thanks for this precision. I'll use software synthesizer.
>
> About playing from/to an external MIDI keyboard, do you think it is
> supported under Linux with this card?
>
> At this time, when I run these commands:
>
> pmidi -p 14:0 myfile.mid
> or
> pmidi -p 20:0 myfile.mid
>
> I don't get any sound anywhere.
>
> Thanks,

A common pitfall with Creative (and "soundblaster compatible") cards
is the type of joystick-port <-> MIDI cable to use, happened to me at
least when I got my Audigy2: there are active and passive cables for
this, and you have to use the active one, i.e. with some electronics
(a good part of the actual MIDI interface) built into the cable.

Edgar