[LAU] Linux 3.2.0-rt Kernels on Debian Repos!

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 20:50:30 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 03:10 AM, hermann wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 25.02.2012, 13:58 +0100 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 13:44 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> I started the translation of Qtractor a month ago and due to issues such
>>> as pulseaudio and the dropped nv driver (and some other issues) I can't
>>> contribute, continue translating, but just fix issues, hence my only
>>> contribution could be to set up machines for users who are willing to
>>> learn, but are unable to learn all things at the same time, for their
>>> first Linux install. At least distros shouldn't do a default install
>>> with 3D effects enabled DEs and than install the nouveau driver by
>>> default if a NVIDIA graphics was detected. A 2D desktop and the vesa
>>> driver would allow beginners to get their first install working OOTB and
>>> to learn how to maintain their own machine. Btw. some distros don't
>>> install bryltty by default. Nowadays only 3D DEs count.
>>>
>>> That's a step in the wrong direction.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ralf
>>
>> PS: Some people are willing to help unpaid for social projects. They
>> contribute by giving e.g. medical help to children in the Third World.
>> It would be nice if they don't need to use Apple or Microsoft, but
>> instead could use a Linux that works OOTB. They don't contribute by
>> maintaining Linux, they don't have knowledge how to maintain a tool such
>> as a computer, but they contribute to the human race.
>>
>> Everything that goes around, comes around ;).
>>
>> It's narrow-minded to limit the cycle to Linux only.
>>
>> :p
>>
> Absolutely true, but, for that case you didn't need a linux derivation
> witch is mean as a development base. Simply select a stable branch for
> that and be done. Then, you didn't need to know anything about linux to
> use it.
> So, your points may all be true, but, they all forget the point that
> debian/sid isn't a distribution. If you like to use blending age
> software, witch is clear stated as developer version, on a outdated
> mobo, you have to count with problems.
>
> Also, I wasn't able to found a single request on any official debian
> site (bug report or wish liste) witch ask for get back the nv driver.

The last time I filed an official bug report on Debian, the report was
closed with the message: "Upgrade and see if that fixes it." IOW, we're
not interested in fixing it, we're not going to fix it, we're not even
going to figure if we've unintentionally fixed it.

I get better response from bug reports on particular apps.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community