[LAU] Linux 3.2.0-rt Kernels on Debian Repos!

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 08:01:22 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 08:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Hi Ralf,
>>
>> I 100% agree with your willing of a free OS for free people.
>> Thought Debian Stable was this universal OS.
>> Is it not true ?
>
> Hi Fred :)
>
> this issue doesn't touch Debian stable. It starts with Debian testing
> and is continued with Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu and Mint.

It will touch Debian Stable when what's in Sid is turned into the new
Stable.

>> Message: 18
>> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:42:31 -1000
>> From: david<gnome at hawaii.rr.com>
>> Subject: Re: [LAU] Linux 3.2.0-rt Kernels on Debian Repos!
>> To: linux-audio-user<linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>>
>> On 02/25/2012 02:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> I started the translation of Qtractor a month ago and due to issues such
>>> as pulseaudio and the dropped nv driver (and some other issues) I can't
>>> contribute, continue translating, but just fix issues, hence my only
>>> contribution could be to set up machines for users who are willing to
>>> learn, but are unable to learn all things at the same time, for their
>>> first Linux install. At least distros shouldn't do a default install
>>> with 3D effects enabled DEs and than install the nouveau driver by
>>> default if a NVIDIA graphics was detected. A 2D desktop and the vesa
>>> driver would allow beginners to get their first install working OOTB and
>>> to learn how to maintain their own machine. Btw. some distros don't
>>> install bryltty by default. Nowadays only 3D DEs count.
>>
>> Yah, 3D DE stroke developer egos more. That's why I dropped KDE in favor
>> of XFCE. If I wanted an OS where I had to by new hardware everytime a
>> new release came out, I'd have bought Windows.
>
> Hahaha, I dropped GNOME3 on my machine, use Xfce now, but tried to give
> KDE4 a chance. A KDE session for Mint Lisa won't start anymore, since I
> installed the proprietary driver and Xfce on Mint Lisa comes with mouse
> cursors from KDE, the selected mouse cursors for Xfce are ignored.
>
> Ubuntus Studio Oneiric and Arch Linux are running Xfce only. Suse 11.2
> and Edubuntu Maverick still run GNOME2.

Around here: 2 machines running aptosid (a pretty successful attempt at
making Debian Sid a pretty stable OS to use) with XFCE. 2 machines
running older Debians or Debian-derivatives (one uses Gnome 2, one
KDE3). 1 netbook running Ubuntu 11.10 with their Unity interface.

Tried KDE4 when it was first coming out, it wasn't usable yet, went back
to KDE3. Watched a friend valiantly try to use KDE4 up through KDE4.5,
after which he gave up and switched to XFCE (on netbooks) and LXDE (on
his desktop machine).

XFCE, LXDE or Fluxbox meet my UI needs.

Of course, you could consider a DAW like Ardour 3 to be a UI for pro
audio users, yes?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com