[LAU] New computer planned

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Feb 28 03:58:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:34:45 +0100
> From: Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] New computer planned
> To: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
> Cc: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>,
>         debian-user at lists.debian.org
>

> On 02/26/2012 09:52 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> [..]
> > What Debian should we install, to get a working system?
> >
> > Go with stable if you use NVIDIA, you are an idiot if you use
> NVIDIA,
> > use Intel and install Debian, but not stable :D???
>
> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Hi Robin :)

users still need to venture a guess what to take from what repo to get
their hardware working with Debian. Debian didn't like my PS/2 mouse. I
bought a USB mouse and everything was ok. Some upgrades later Debian
didn't like my PS/2 keyboard and my USB mouse anymore. I only had X from
stable installed, to keep the nv driver and everything else was from
testing.
Now there's the suggestion to compile the nv driver from git, anyway,
there's no Debian that is really stable. If you get some Intel graphics
you need testing, if you get some NVIDIA graphics, you need stable.
Btw. it's vague that the mouse and keyboard issues were related to my X
settings, since they already started with a vanilla install of Debian
stable.

For me it was easier to switch the distro, other users millage may vary.

I don't like this policy of Debian and Debian derivatives. For current
Ubuntu Oneiric, I don't have audio output for my RME card. It's not
"just" that pulseaudio issue.

I don't experience such issues for basic hardware using current Arch
Linux or older Debian and Debian derivatives. Of cause, today, right
now, I try to get USB WiFi ad-hoc working for the sextillionth time,
since their seems a drivers available, to get the iPads MIDI by WiFi
working with Linux. Here Debian "knows" the USB adapter by default, Arch
Linux doesn't, still not working even for Debian, but this isn't
something "basic" such as the graphics, keyboard and mouse are.

Regards,
Ralf