[LAU] [Rosegarden-user] MIDI card for Linux

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Jan 4 09:28:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 00:31:54 -0500
Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2012 08:55 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> >
> > Regarding to MIDI jitter not only the MIDI device seems to be important.
> > It's the combination of the mobo, MIDI device and software settings.
> > Using e.g. HPET for the sequencer timer could improve this issue.
>
> Not to totally threadjack this, but how much timing variation can happen
> due to MIDI jitter?  I'm not sure I've ever experienced it, at least not
> where I could identify it as such.

Depends on the quality of the source, and the amount of data you're attempting
to stuff down the 'pipe' bearing in mind that the data rate is something like
31kbps. Never had a problem with it myself, and once inside the computer it's
only MIDI type messages not MIDI data so is virtually instantaneous.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk