[LAU] monitor specifications

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Jan 7 20:02:49 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 01:34:15PM +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:

> OTOH, if you've got much time and a lot of money, you might build a
> better monitor than there's on the market. Trail and error is how people
> from rich families build some good pro-audio gear. The VM-1 microphone
> is such an example. Patience and money in the beginning is all you need.
> You even don't need knowledge that much.

The last sentence made my day when reading it during lunch.

Sure, if you have plenty of money you can hire someone with the
required knowledge. And if you have plenty of time you can re-
invent and rediscover all the design theory, psycho-acoustics,
material science and measurement techniques accumulated over
the past 80 years or so, and everything else it takes to create
a good studio monitor or mic.

There are probably some good speaker designs available on the
net, and building one of those may be a rewarding exercise.
But even in that case you're just doing maybe 5% of the work,
the rest has been done by the designers of the components you
use. It's like building your own car using an existing engine,
gearbox, etc. and just putting in your own pair of seats and
adding a layer of paint. Nice if you enjoy doing that, but a
waste of time otherwise.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.