[LAU] monitor specifications

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jan 8 10:38:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 11:32:21PM -0500, Al Thompson wrote:
> On 01/07/2012 04:09 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> > But some time in the late 70s, together with my prof of audio
> > technology at the Brussels broadcasting and media academy, I
> > constructed some very large linear horns using glass fibre
> > sheets and epoxy resin. One day we were testing outdoors using
>
> You were making linear versions of the Levi cabinets??  How did they sound?

They were not based on any existing cabinet design. Some time
before Wireless World (which was a great magazine at that time)
had published an article discussing the relative merits of
various horn profiles  - exponential, catenary, hyperbolic -
and this had tickled my curiosity.

To build the horns, we first cut the profile in a piece of
plywood (hyperbolic IIRC), then used this to make a plaster
mould. This in turn was covered with several layers of the
glass fiber sheets and epoxy resin - a very messy affair.

They sounded very well, and were incredibly efficient.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.