[LAU] monitor specifications

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sun Jan 8 13:25:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:06:24 +0100
Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/07/2012 03:47 PM, Guido Piazzi wrote:
> > Il 06/01/2012 18:17, Brendan Jones ha scritto:
> >
> >> Has anyone here done this and is it possible to do this oneself? Some
> >> plans/specifications would go a long way (or should I not bother)
> >>
> >> What I'm looking at is something similar to the yamaha HSM80's or the
> >> Adam A7's
> >
> > I'm no expert, but after reading Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets", I would
> > like to share a couple of suggestions:
> >
> > - Avoid ported designs. They're always affected by some amount of
> > ringing ad unevenness in the bass response. Only the most expensive
> > commercial models manage to minimize such problems. So, that's my guess,
> > a closed box design should be safer for a DIY project.
> >
> > - Google for "Auratone 5C": they should be the easiest studio monitors
> > to clone (single driver, no hi-fi at all), and a very useful tool in
> > your studio even when you already have "real", good monitors.
>
> Thanks for the tip - I think your right, a simpler design is going to be
> more rewarding given the sheer time and effort involved.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brendan

I would make the point that familiarity with your monitors is as important (if
not more so) as their supposed quality. With any studio setup you should play
as wide a variety of commercially produced music as possible so that you
become familiar with the quirks more-or-less at a subconscious level. Your own
mixes will then come out much better when played on other equipment.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk