[LAU] monitor specifications

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Sun Jan 8 15:51:37 UTC 2012

On 8 January 2012 13:01, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1022/index.php
>> Could be what you are looking for?
Sometimes a decent budget off-the-shelf monitor will actually save you
money and giev you decent performance, especially if you can get a
deal from somewhere or a well-looked-after 2nd hand one. My brother
has a pair of Genelecs and for one of his friends he was ordering a
B-stock Alesis M1 510s (effectively they were as good as new but the
box was damaged). They arrived a day late and missed him flying out to
his friend and meanwhile his friend got fed up from waiting and got
himself something else for more and I ended up with the monitors and I
have been using them since '07 pretty happily. My ears can't hear the
difference between these £100 monitors and the ~£1000 Genelecs (on the
other hand I spent my youth playing guitar in very loud bands so Mitra
knows how much I lost the edge of my hearing by now). On the other
hand they are perfectly usable and have a decent writeup in SoS
(http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/alesism1.htm).

Even though I like the DIY approach, I am hugely sceptical about all
of these pseudo-scientific claims most of the builders have.