[LAU] Pot rust

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Jan 10 01:21:16 UTC 2012

Hello all,

  Hardware related.

  For quite some time I had the volume knob fixed at one setting on the
  M-Audio Studiophile speakers, using the headphone jack connected to a
  pair of Sennheiser remote headphones with their own volume control
  (plus any software volume controls).  Recently when I tried to use the
  M-Audio speakers w/o headphones I was surprised to find that the
  volume knob has what I call 'rust' as it makes a loud noisy sound
  when rotated.  Is there any fix for this ?  I kind of recall that
  there was some kind of spray that was sold at Radio Shacks way back
  then to remove the 'rust' off potentiometers.  Anyone got the same
  problem ? Are the speakers casings to be opened to spray such stuff
  or can it find its way from the small spacing around the knob at the
  front ?  And is this stuff still around anyways and does it work at
  all ?

Cheers.