[LAU] OS for realtime operation

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jan 11 14:55:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 03:11:53PM +0200, Moshe Werner wrote:

> Just to get it right, some of you said that I don't need a real time
> kernel? How that? Are there people on this list who do serious audio work
> and do NOT use an rt-kernel? If so is it really recomended doing so?

As mentioned before, the normal Linux kernel already has RT capabilities,
and recently a large part of the additional RT patches have been moved
into the standard kernel. The result is that you need a patched kernel
only if you want very low latencies. Here everything (and that means
some heavvy audio processing) is done using the standard kernel, with
an audio period size of 256 frames. I never experienced any problem
with it.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.