[LAU] Q: educational websites/books on comp. audio/recording in general

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:00:32 UTC 2012

Hi Chris,

There's a lot of resources out there: also on a lot of different angles of
audio engineering.
What is is that your trying to do / learn?

For instance doing the "home band" recording, I'd advise a lot of
experimenting, and a bit of reading on mic placement + basic understanding
of sample rates, latency etc... If your trying to create a soundscape
track, the reccomendation would be totally different.

I'm doing bits of house / dubstep, and some recording stuff, these are the
books I've got:
For electro music of various types:
Dance Music Manual - Rick
Snowman<http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0240521072/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=recordingwork-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0240521072>

For mic placement / recording advice:
Creative Recording 2 - Paul
White<http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/184492002X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=recordingwork-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=184492002X>

For understanding what you're doing w.r.t effects, sampling rates etc:
Computer Music Synthesis Composition & Performance - Charles
Dodge<http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Music-Synthesis-Composition-Performance/dp/0028646827>

A lot can also be learnt with youtube tutorials... however there's also a
lot of rubbish on there. If you have lots of time to go trawling trough
endless video's on recording / production, then you'll come across a couple
of real gems. Mostly just junk though :)

Hth, -Harry