[LAU] choir effect

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:05:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:16:16 +0100 (CET)
Julien Claassen <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Hi Renato!
>    There is a very easy solution withmore or less acceptable results.
> That's the LADSPA multivoice chorus. I think it's in the SWH or even
> CMT suite. From that easy solution you can move up slowly. Load a
> couple of tracks in whatever host you like (ardour, ams...) spread
> them in the stereo panorama and then:
> 1. slightly shift them in time (delay)
> 2. get them out of phase
> 3. Use a pitch-shifter plugin for detuen
> 4. Try chorus effects(?)
> 5. Try the TAP doubler or similar
>    The best results are still achieved if you play the instruments a
> couple of times. Where hydrogen is concerned: Best try to get in some
> live performance or use some randomness to vary the samples used and
> the exact location of the drum shots... Introduce randmoness or
> change to ass many parameters as possible, especially if your drums
> only have one layer of samples! With something like a guitar is
> naturally best to really play it twice, for the guitar is alive. At
> least go for twice or thrice, with that and some stereo spreadng you
> can already achieve good effects. I hope this helps. If you need some
> specific plugin references let me know and I'll hunt them down.

Thanks Julien, your suggestion is very detailed, I have more than
something to try now :) Originally I was thinking of a real-time
solution, but the "more than one take" way seems something classic and
that I allways wanted to experiment with, and probably as you suggest
gives best results. I'll definitely play with this stuff!

best wishes,
renato