[LAU] [OT]: Hybrid SSD disks

mauser at smoors.de mauser at smoors.de
Fri Jan 13 19:31:50 UTC 2012

On 12.01.2012 10:31, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've lately heard of so-called hybrid ssd disks and was wondering if
> anyone has experiences with them esp. relating to audio, but also for
> general use.
>
> While advantages (and drawbacks) of pure SSD are quite
> straightforward, but the price tag is still high, I'm not totally
> convinced of the advertised 'advantages' of the hybrid ones.
>
> On the more linux side of things, one aspect which is not very clear
> to me is compatibility, especially what sort of software hackery the
> 'adaptive' optimisations include and to which extent these are
> Windows/Mac only, e.g. one of the popular brands states Linux
> compatibility and in the spec. sheet "Can be used with Linux"

Hi Lorenzo,

those devices are completely transparent to the operating system.
You're OS sees just one drive. The real magic is the algorithm inside
the disc controller which decides which block should go on the SSD. This
is implemented in the firmware of the device, it is not done via a
driver. You can expect benchmarks around 110MB(MB/s) (r/w) from such a
disk, which places the hybrid disc somewhere between the classic disc
drives and older SSDs. This goes for the price as well..

When speaking about the use of those discs in audio systems you have to
define the exact use case.. I don't think they make a lot of sense for
the classic recording application, since the the caching algorihm places
only popular blocks on the SSD. This will be useless if you're doing
recordings all the day. It might be of use if you're using a sampler and
playing the same samples a lot of times..
But you can only speculate about this case since no one knows the
caching algorithm of the disc.

Hope that helps,
Sebastian