[LAU] Unplayable midi song

Edward Diehl diehl at umich.edu
Sun Jan 15 22:11:59 UTC 2012

I have recorded piano tune with Ardour3beta2 which seems to be
unplayable with the Salamander Grand SFZ file using LinuxSampler.  I
recorded
the piece as a midi track using Pianoteq and then wanted to bounce a
version record using SalamanderGrand/LinuxSampler, but found that some
notes were skipped in playback.  I conclude, after many tests as
described below, that it simply has too many repetitive notes, and
LinuxSampler/SalamanderGrand cannot keep up.  I have played quite a
bit with LinuxSampler/SalamanderGrand in live practice, and not seen
this problem before, but this particular piece seems to point out some
weakness in LinuxSampler+SalamanderGrand.

At first I thought it might be an Ardour issue, but the midi would not
play properly in Qtractor either, and then I discovered that I could
not play the piece live with SalamanderGrand/LinuxSampler either.
However, the piece plays fine with Pianoteq or Linuxsampler using
jRhodes3.sf2 or Maestro_concert_grand_v2.gig.  The only other SFZ file
I have is the Ibanez_roadstarII_series_fingered.sfz (guitar) which
also worked fine, with that caveat that this intrument does not have
the full range of the piano and only has 66MB of samples, compared to
1GB+ for Salamander Grand.  I have also tried increasing my Jack
latency to the maximum amount I could (280ms), but that did not help.
I tried several flavors of Salamander Grand 44kHz 16bit, 24bit, and
ogg, but that made no difference.  So I conclude is something about
LinuxSampler+SalamanderGrand combination which prevents this song from
playing properly.

I've posted the midi file here in case anyone else wants to see if
they can get Linuxsampler/SalamanderGrand to play it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57410000/pianosong.mid