[LAU] [Consortium] Protest

Burkhard Wölfel versuchsanstalt at gmx.de
Thu Jan 19 20:28:27 UTC 2012

Am 19.01.2012 um 19:09 schrieb Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org>:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:57:41 -0500
> Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>> Short version, yes.
>>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16623831
>>>
>>> Longer version, it apparently scared the financial supporters of
>>> the bill
>>> enough they are starting their own pro-SOPA advertising campaign
>>> and media
>>> blitz.  So that battle is far from over.
>>>
>>> Arstechnica has some great articles on it from yesterday if you
>>> care to
>>> read them.
>>>
>>>    Seablade
>>>

>> Speaking of which...
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/sopa-backer-tells-house-defectors-facts-will-overcome-fears.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss
>>
>> So yes some people got the message, not all.  And the fight is far
>> from
>> over.
>>
>>      Seablade
>
> They are scared - that's good
> They have lots of money to fund misleading ads (or outright lies) -
> that's bad.

Too many people don't understand the technology enough to make or
demand sound decisions. That's a huge opportunity - but not only for
us, of course.

So yes, you're right, Will.

It's up to all of us to find and communicate good metaphors that
provide a starting point for those we want to get interested and
involved. There'll always be bills, acts and campaigns, I don't know
any reason how the fight could ever be over.

- Burkhard