[LAU] Hardware: Drum pad

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 22 12:43:59 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-22 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:14:55 +0200
> From: Yosef Werner <yw.werner at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Hardware: Drum pad
> To: "rosea.grammostola" <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>
> Cc: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> I am still enthusiastic about this solution:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJrO9VYEoGQ
>
> There is a possibility of using PD to generate the trigger for MIDI.
> Unfortunately
> I have not the knowledge to do it, but maybe someone in the list, can
> help
> with PD.
>
> I'm thinking also about to do something like this.
>
> Yosef

If you've got something like an elCheapo Alesis D4 with what ever
software version, you even can use headphones to trigger MIDI data, if
the self build pads won't bounce, you can get bouncing drum sticks, but
in the end you'll have something like a Roland V snare and you
especially will have a good food pedal from the 70s or early 80s for
what ever kick pad.
Don't confuse additional e-pads used with a real drum set, with
something that should replace your keyboard to play MIDI drums. The
Roland V drums are amazing. I don't have the money to get them, but IMO
any other thingy that should replace the keyboard will dry very soon.

Don't spend too much money for testing such solutions.

Btw. how much or less MIDI jitter do you get? You might record similar
flam rolls as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIN1I63oTw [1] by audio
and MIDI and then play them in unison ;).

2 Cents,

Ralf

[1] *lol* Seemingly he didn't use the drill to protect the Cym, when
there was a rip.