[LAU] Monophonic Audio to real time midi?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 08:13:59 UTC 2012

On 23/01/2012 23:20, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 23.01.2012 10:32, schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 23/01/2012 10:21, Nils wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there a tool that allows audio-in over jack and gives me jack or
>>> midi alsa out?
>>> I need (near) real time monophonic conversion so I can use it for step
>>> entry in midi-in programs.
>>
>> You could have a look at the [sigmund~] external by Miller Puckette for
>> Pure Data (I believe it is a 'vanilla' object).
>
> Quite often I read and hear people recommend PD but all my tries in the
> past 2 or so years ended in desaster. Actually PD was the only app I
> tried with Jack that caused real trouble and I never saw it even
> starting without an xrun at least.
>
> So is it me? How does PD work with Jack for those of you who use it on a
> day to day basis?

I wouldn't like to de-rail this too much as there is a very active Pd
mailing list. Anyway.
Pd can take a while to get into, but I can say that Pd works very well
with Jack and I never had big issues. Of course you should keep in mind
that Pd is a programming language and enables you to do whatever you
want, even fill an array beyond your ram size et. sim. with great power...

> And is there anybody who uses PD for the job mentioned by the thread
> starter?
> If so, is there a chance to do it like this:
>
> 1.) put an object (external or whatever) for Jack audio in
> 2.) put the [sigmund~] thing and connect it to that input
> 3.) put a jack-MIDI out and connect it to [sigmund~] out
> 4.) make noise and send it to 1.) and route the notes generated by 3.)
> to any app that can read them from Jack-MIDI

It is absolutely doable, near to trivial with the above mentioned
[sigmund~] external. Again if you are really up to it it would probably
be better to discuss this on the Pd-list which is usually very friendly
and supportive.
If you want I can post somewhere (tm) a basic patch.

Lorenzo.