[LAU] announcing chino-0.10

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 17:42:52 UTC 2012

chino-0.10 is out, another re-write.
Chino is a session management framework written in Bash.

Pretty much alpha, I suspect there might be some bugs left
occurring in corner cases I haven't encountered yet.

http://chino.tuxfamily.org/

Previous versions generated session scripts for a very limited variety
of setups. The current version differs in three main points, in that:

  (1) no script is written, sessions can now be recovered from a
  'session definition file';

  (2) the possible variety of setups is much larger since the main
  script is separated from implementation, i.e. a user can quite
  freely define applications and their behaviour;

  (3) it provides a runtime user interface, for adding and removing
  applications while the session is running.

The purpose is not to add another session management system
to the LASH/LADISH/JackSession ecosystem, chino is
somewhat different in scope. I neither claim that it's exactly
simple nor that it is of any particular elegance, but it serves my
needs very well -- I can hopefully now start making music. :)

An excerpt from the features list on the website:

  a 'load session' command and a 'save session' keybinding
  (the latter saves only the session, the state of any involved
  application—if applicable—needs to be manually saved to
  the appropriate file from within the application);

  presets and template sessions for simple creation or forking
  of sessions;

  a text user interface to add or remove applications while
  running, with no manual connection-making involved;

  adding support for an application amounts to adding a file
  containing some variables and functions, thus no support on
  the application's side is required (apart from the ability to
  recover a state via command line and/or file loading, without
  manual user interaction);

  mono-stereo-agnostic audio connecting and Jack-Alsa-
  agnostic Midi connecting;

  a hierarchical session layout with dependency check,
  suggestions and the option to view an image displaying the
  session graph (the passive "GUI").

best,