[LAU] Audio software website: own forum or extern?

Nils list at nilsgey.de
Sat Jan 28 10:11:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:12:41 +0000
Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Nils <list at nilsgey.de> wrote:
>
> > I can't decide if the site should offer user accounts for a forum or bug
> > tracker
> >

> Personally I find it irritating if I have to create an account before one
> can help the author.>
> I find sending an email to the contact address, then chatting about
> relevant info for a bug report,
> My 2 cents, -Harry

Bug reports are a different issue. Any channel the user chooses is fine with me. I find it more than irritating if projects reject bug reports only because they don't follow certain rules or are sent to the "-user" mailinglist instead to the bugtracker. I am not picky here. If it needs extra work to gather all bug reports, I'll do the work as long as the user don't have to do it.

But I really meant a place to discuss things. Users helping users, a bit offtopic chatting. Mailing lists are not everbodies favourite medium for that.
I want a low barrier for people who decide to ask questions or even answer questions. And the first barrier is account creation.

The more I think about it the more shocking is the conclusion: Either I offer my own forum or I go directly to the "mass-media" which means not KVR or LinuxMusicians forum but Facebook, Google+, and Twitter directly.

Of course this whole train of thougth is based on "If I had to choose only one place for user-talks". Nothing prevents me from choosing all of the above. But users stay in one place. There are projects where you can ask in IRC or forums as often as you want, you don't get an answer, but via the mailing list you are almost guaranteed to reach somebody who has an answer.

Nils